Friday, April 1, 2016

What's taking me to Argentina?

No, it's not all fun and games.

In case you were not aware, I am traveling to Buenos Aires to participate in the SAP Social Sabbatical program on behalf of SAP. What exactly is Social Sabbatical, you ask? The SAP Social Sabbatical is a short term assignment for SAP's key talents who work in international, cross functional teams to solve business challenges for the education and social entrepreneurship sector in emerging markets. Based on my annual performance evaluation in 2015, I was invited to apply to this program. (Who says hard work doesn't pay off?) The selection process was rigorous but I was able to get in. I was assigned to the Social Sabbatical program in Buenos Aires in April 2016. My assignment will run from April 4, 2016 to April 29, 2016. I will be traveling to BA with 11 other SAP colleagues from around the world.

What exactly is my assignment? I will be working with my colleagues Fariba and Vipul to help Junior Achievement Argentina (JA Argentina) to come up with a digitization strategy for their training materials in order to reduce its program costs and to reach more students in new geographic areas. Junior Achievement Argentina is an international organization whose aim is to inspire and prepare young people between the ages of 5 and 25 for the working world. This objective is achieved through the implementation of educational programs within three strategic areas: entrepreneurship, financial education and vocational skills. They are primarily funded by large corporate sponsors - SAP being one of them. JA Argentina would like the three of us to analyze their various program challenges and prepare a digitization plan (primarily for their training materials) that can be implemented by JA’s permanent staff. JA made several attempts in recent years to come up with a strategy but lacked a concrete plan of action. JA Argentina’s beneficiaries and donors are now demanding that the organization adopt more modern technologies and have an executable plan. That's where we come in. The project does not have a formal deadline but we will need to come up with a viable strategy for them in the next four weeks and present it to their board for buy-in. I'm sure we have a lot of challenges ahead of us but I'm looking forward to it.

I will try to squeeze in some fun time while in BA. Some of us are traveling to Iguazu Falls one weekend. I will celebrate my 41st birthday there too. At the end of the trip, I will take two weeks off to travel around Argentina and Uruguay.

Yes, there will be photos. 

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment